Wednesday, July 25, 2012

2012 Mission to Mexico


Last week, my colleague and friend Dr. Michael Lawton (UCSF) and I led a team to Guadalajara, Mexico to serve the underprivileged population there. I am extremely honored to be a part of this trip for the second year in a row.  I sometimes take for granted the conveniences of working in a large state of the art hospital and I’m humbled that we were able to perform six complete brain surgeries (including diagnostic assessment, clinical and academic discussions, surgical treatment in the selected hospital and follow-up) free of charge in our time there. We performed complex cases with only the most basic of equipment. Our patients were of the general population of Guadalajara and we sincerely hope we made a difference in their lives and longevity.

I want to thank all of my patients both at Hopkins and beyond for trusting me with your care, treatment, and surgeries. Being a part of your life means so much to me, and being able to give something back to the world is a terrific and awesome reward. Guadalajara isn’t far from the small Mexican border town I grew up in. To be able to return after fulfilling my dreams, while helping others achieve theirs, is a wonderful honor that I hope to make an annual experience. 




No comments:

Post a Comment